Friday, January 27, 2012

What Design means to me

The first thought that comes to me when I think of design is graphic design. I realize that design encompasses so much more but, after so many years in the graphics field, my brain thinks of a “problem to solve” for a customer.
A customer might request a simple design, a colorful design, a busy one, a serious tone, one that pops, etc. 
I enjoyed this reading. It seem to reinforce the idea that a design is a solution for a "problem". It states that the definition of design as the opposite of chance. What we can do to stimulate a solution involves:
Thinking Looking Doing

When I think of design as intentional, I don’t get caught up in the argument that design is not art. I used to be concerned with “selling out” if I became a graphic designer. . . the argument being that I would not be producing real “art”, I would be creating something for someone else, not something from my heart. I don't think that is true any more. Whatever solution the artist, or creator, comes up with, is still unique. There is not one answer.

When presented with a “problem to solve”, generally an artist will gather ideas, either by consciously viewing other artwork or the world around them. Part of what makes an artist, I think, is the ability to see the potential in everyday objects as a basis, or an idea, for a project, a painting, a story, etc.

I enjoyed the example in the reading about the sculptor Henry Moore, who noted that he had a tendency to pick up shells at the beach that resembled his current work in progress. 

I was interested in the section in the reading about critiques. I returned to school last semester, after many years, and I really enjoy the exposure to the variety of artwork and and unique solutions people come up with when given the same assignment. I like the model for critiquing (from the reading). . First, describe the piece.
Second, an analysis, how is it presented.
Third, interpretation, the meaning, implication or effect.

My personal definition of design is similar to this reading. The simple definition - design is a planned solution to a problem/request. 

Design impacts my daily life in almost everything that I do. I have restored two old houses and I love to design interior spaces, whether it’s the shape of a room, a kind of ceiling - texture (tin, wood, paint), tile and stone for flooring. There are certain colors and textures that I am attracted to, which is apparent in my clothing, jewelry, throw rugs, blankets and many other things I buy.

I really enjoy the design of the jewelry in the top picture (below). In the second picture, I've grouped together similar items and might attempt to create similar jewelry.

1 comment: